Coastline Regional Occupational Program (ROP)
Frequently Asked Questions
What is ROP? ROP is:
- State-funded public education, providing career technical education and guidance to meet identified educational standards and industry needs.
- Accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
- Part of the Huntington Beach Union, Irvine, Newport-Mesa, Saddleback Valley and Tustin Unified School Districts.
- Career technical education and sequential learning designed to improve academic skills.
- A course of study that combines classroom instruction with hands-on learning.
- Career technical education taught by fully credentialed teachers, experienced in their related industries.
Who can take ROP classes?
- The program is available to high school students in our five participating districts. Adults may enroll in fee-based classes.
Why take an ROP class? ROP students can:
- Earn grades and credits toward high school graduation.
- Enroll in classes that satisfy a-g requirement for UC and CSU.
- Gain experience required for immediate employment.
- Participate in courses that offer internships if they are at least 16 years of age.
- Earn certificates of recognition.
- Experience careers that may assist in choosing college majors and enhance college admission applications.
- Upgrade skills, change careers, or prepare for re-entry into the workforce.
- Prepare for post secondary education.
When and where are classes offered?
- Classes are held in businesses and on high school campuses located within the five participating districts, during and after school, evenings and Saturdays.
- The school year is divided into two 18-week semesters, fall and spring, plus a summer semester. Classes may be one or two semesters in length. See schedule of classes for start dates.
How can you register for classes?
- High school students register with the ROP career specialist on campus.
- Students attending alternative high school programs may register with the career specialist or at the Coastline ROP office.
- Adults may register in person at the Coastline ROP office.
What is the cost?
- Classes are free to high school students. Registration fees for adults vary, see schedule of classes for pricing.
- Some courses charge a fee for fabricated or other items that will be taken home. Check schedule of classes for specific requirements.
- For information on fee-based classes, see the schedule of classes.
What about job placement?
- Job seeking assistance is available at Orange County One-Stop Centers.
- High school students can access employment information in their high school career centers.
We care about you, your future, and your dreams – Coastline ROP inspires our students to keep reaching higher.
Partner with Coastline ROP, and tap into an innovative source of skilled workforce talent.
Our hands-on, innovative methods build lifelong learners. Let Coastline ROP inspire the achiever in your student.